A smelly washing machine can make any clean clothes smell dirty again. How do I get my front load washer to stop smelling? You can eliminate the odour by wiping the gasket and cleaning the washing basin with baking soda and vinegar or a commercial cleaner. Here you can learn why your LG washer smells bad and how to clean it properly.
LG Front Loading Washer Smells? Here is How to Stop the Odour
There are specific cleaning methods that can remove any odour from your washing machine but before we can dive into this, you must understand why your washing machine smells bad in the first place.
Why Does My Front Load Washing Machine Smell Bad?
Front load washing machines use less water than top loading washing machines, making them more efficient. Less water does mean that there is less usage that can leave behind dirt and grime from your clothing which leads a lingering smell in the washing tub. If you are not using a HE detergent or are using too much laundry soap, you can be leaving behind sudsy residue in the rubber gasket and the tub. Without properly using your washing machine or cleaning, you are allowing the perfect breeding ground to take place for the leftover dirt to breed into mold and mildew.
Now that you understand why your washing machine smells, we can explain the proper ways to clean it to eliminate the odour.
How to Clean a Washer Gasket
The rubber gasket is what provides the tight seal between the tub and the door. This prevents any leaks and can begin building up with grim and dirt.
Here is how you can properly clean an LG front load washer gasket:
- Open the door and peel back the rubber gasket so that the interior is exposed.
- Remove any visible objects such as coins, hair, or bobby pins.
- If you smell mold in your washing machine, you may notice black spots on the gasket. Spray these spots with a mildew cleaner or hot soapy water and wipe clean.
- If the mold will not come off, use a toothbrush to scrub these spots.
How to Clean LG Washer Tub
The washing basin can also provide an environment for mold and mildew to breed from leftover dirt and detergent. Most LG washing machines have a setting called Tub Clean that can be used with a commercial cleaner to remove odor. Check your user manual to determine how to properly use this cycle.
If your washer does not have a Tub Clean setting:
- Add 1/3 cup of baking soda to your empty washer drum
- Pour 2 cups of vinegar into the detergent dispenser
- On hot water, run a regular wash cycle
- If you are experiencing an extreme odour, replace the vinegar with 2 cups of bleach. To ensure all the bleach is removed from the washer, run an extra hot rinse cycle after the wash is completed.
If you are experiencing any problems with your LG washing machine, call our technicians to service your washing machine repair.